Linsly-Chittenden Hall — 1907
Linsly-Chittenden Hall was orignally two separate buildings that served as annexes for the old University Library (then located in Dwight Hall). Today, Linsly is a recitation hall and faculty office building for the English Department and Chittenden is a classroom building. Chittenden Hall, erected in 1889 by J. Cleaveland Cady, is Neo-Romanesque in style, while Linsly Hall, designed by Charles Haight and completed in 1907, is a prime example of the Collegiate Gothic style. Both buildings have three stories and open onto both High Street and Old Campus. In 1998, an extensive renovation and historic preservation initiative took place under the leadership of Goody Clancy architects. During that project, a new front entry was added and a new attic floor constructed. The exterior facades were restored and the facilities were outfitted with the latest audio-visual and informational technologies. Additional work included the meticulous renovation of an original Tiffany stained glass window, titled "Education", located in one of the Chittenden lecture halls.
Did You Know?
The lecture hall featuring the Tiffany stained-glass window was the main reading room of the old University library.