Property Overview

 « Previous | Next »

Stoeckel Hall — 1897

  
  
  
  

History

Stoeckel Hall, currently home to the Music Department, is located on the corner of College and Wall Streets. It was designed by Grosvenor Atterbury and completed in 1897 as a residence for Chi Phi Fraternity. This Venetian Gothic building, originally called York Hall, was renamed for music professor Gustave Stoeckel in 1954, when it was converted for use by the School of Music.

In 2008, Stoeckel Hall underwent extensive renovations to repair structural damage and update aging facilities. The renovation project added soundproof walls, doors and hallways and included the construction of an addition, which contains lecture and seminar rooms. Reopened in January 2009, the building houses administrative and faculty offices on the first, second and third floors; and graduate student study areas and a rehearsal room on the lower level. On the fourth floor, there is a state-of-the-art, 24-hour computer/technology suite.

Did You Know?

Stoeckel Hall is the only Venetian-style building on campus.

Stoeckel Hall

469 College Street
New Haven, CT 06511

Architect:

Grosvenor Atterbury

Completed:

1897

Renovation Architect:

Charney Architects

Renovation:

2008

 

Map it »

FEATURED EVENT

Connecticut Hall

Visitor Center Guided Walking Tours of Campus

Offered 352 days a year
These free, student led tours depart from the Visitor Center at 149 Elm.